Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Fifth and Kennedy "Gang"

Funny story really... I’m now a junior member of the Fifth and Kennedy Street "Gang", a "gang" of teenage boys who ruled a downtown DC neighborhood in the 1950s. They’re in their seventies now, but they still hang out together and get kicked out of the occasional restaurant, Ocean City bar or drag show in Key West.

This whole thing started a few weeks ago when I was in downtown Silver Spring with my film group working on our dystopian trailer. We were shooting a fight scene in the mall. It was so obvious it was staged. Our slaps and punches never connected; we were like bad actors doing a Three Stooges skit. And we were laughing. And one of us was recording it on a video camera. And I was in a not very believable costume as an old man with a cane, my hair spray painted gray. Then a mall cop came over to us and said, “Hey, put that away. No taking pictures in the mall.” We obediently followed his instructions and stopped recording but he was not satisfied. He said, “I’m afraid I can’t have you taking pictures in the mall. I’m gonna have to ask you to leave.”  It didn’t really matter; we already got all the footage we needed, but we acted all upset and grumbled on our way out.

Most families would scold their children for getting kicked out of a mall, not mine! I immediately called my granddad when I got home, because when he was my age he had a BIG problem with authority and did this kind of thing every day. But I don’t think his behavior was innocent like mine. And I don’t think he did much homework on the weekends. Granddad says when he got my voice mail all he could do was yell YAAAAY! This was one proud grandfather; his grandson was finally taking after him. He’s always telling me stories about his days as a member of the Fifth and Kennedy "Gang", and about all the pranks they pulled and cops they ran away from.  He and a few of the other men that were in the "gang" still see each other regularly and even go on vacation together with their wives. One of their wives warned me not to say that I like anything like a glass or a knickknack in a restaurant or at somebody’s house because one of the "gang" will probably “lift” it for me.  They’re still at it.

So Granddad said that he would talk to Bill Steed, another man in the "gang", to see if I could join up now that I got in trouble in the city. About a week later he called me back and said that he discussed the matter with the leading members of the "gang", and in a 3 to 2 vote they named me a junior member of the Fifth and Kennedy "Gang". He said to call him back if I ever get chased off by a real cop, and I’ll probably have a shot at full "gang" membership. So yea, I’m now officially associated with my aunt, my grandfather and a bunch of other senior outlaws. I know, terrifying right?

No comments:

Post a Comment