Monday, September 10, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie Review

I read a movie review for the Hunger Games in the Washington Post earlier this weekend. I annotated this copy of the review at this link. The basic structure of the article was that the author first set the scene for the article and the movie after giving a brief blurb about the movie setting and the main actress who played Katniss Everdeen. He then gives deep praise to the director of the film for portraying the violence in the story without glorifying violence or making the movie too bloody. Believe me, with The Hunger Games, that task was not easy. The writer then talks about the cast and gives the basic plotline with minimal spoilers. Most readers appreciate that!

The Writer sprinkles his opinion throughout the article and I have to say I mostly agreed with him. He said that even though the director and the talent did a phenomenal job, it would be hard to like the movie if you were not a fan of the book. This is all too true. I saw the movie with a friend who had not read any of the books in the series but I read the first two. I really liked the movie but my friend hated everything about it. I'm going to try to convince him to read the book and give the Games a second chance.

I liked the structure of this review, the way it mixed opinion and commentary about the plot, acting, directing and cinematography. Honestly, I'd like to follow its basic structure, or skeleton, or scaffolding, or whatever you want to call it. However I don't want to be the voice of the people, so I think that everyone should pick their own structure and see where they go with it. But  since I like the structure of this review and I'm just gonna fly with it. But if the way it's set up is unappealing or too difficult to follow for some people, I'm cool with that and I won't really care or scrutinize the way their review is set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment